Friday, January 18, 2013

Liar, liar, pants on...

Lance Armstrong is a terrible human being a human being who did a genuinely terrible thing. And, having seen some of his mea culpa interview with Oprah--don't you just love her?--I am convinced that he's still lying about what he did.

It makes me sad that he lied about doping. It makes me sad that he resorted to doping.

WaPo's fact-checker asks: Is Lance Armstrong the world's biggest liar?

He's a pretty big liar, and he took money for doing things that he couldn't have done without doping and without lying about it.  That makes him a fraud on multiple levels.

In the grand scheme of things, however, I find it hard to get exercised about it. (Get it? Exercised? OK, whatever.) It's a shame, but nobody died. 

I can think of a lot of lies that resulted in people dying.  Literally.  And I'm not going to get into semantics, as WaPo does, about whether it's "lying" if you believe that it's true.  We could look at the lies told to get us into a war in Iraq, if you want to get political.  Or we can look at the lies told by the anti-vaccine crowd, if you want to stay out of politics.  Both sets of lies have resulted in the actual deaths of actual people.

So if you're going to make a list of the biggest liars, I don't see how Lance Armstrong even cracks the top ten.

And in a way, that makes me sad, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment