Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Trivia isn't so trivial after all

Just a quick brag.

I've been a trivia guy for a long time. I grew up watching Jeopardy! and playing Trivial Pursuit with the family.  When I was in 6th grade, I captained a team from my hometown, Pine Bluff, that won the first-ever 6th Grade Knowledge Master Open (and if you hit the link, you can see us there, enshrined for all eternity in the KMO Hall of Fame).  I played Quiz Bowl in high school and was proud to represent the University of Arkansas in College Bowl, twice.  (The guy who was the captain of our team both years went on to win the 1996 Jeopardy! College Championship.) 

Recently, I've been playing in a trivia competition in Memphis with my brother, his father-in-law (Norman), his brother-in-law (Lloyd), and our dad.  The team used to be known by the name "Penny's from Heaven," a clever non-sexual double entendre, "Penny" being the name of Norman's beloved dog.  But for this season we became "Blame Canada!" because of our maddening penchant for getting questions about Canada wrong.

Anyway, last Saturday, we played in the Mid-South Regional Tournament put on by Challenge Entertainment against 108 other teams, all of whom had done well enough in their areas to make the finals.  When the dust settled, we found ourselves at the top of the pile, splitting (among the five of us) the $7500 top prize.  It was a true team effort.  I can't wait for the summer league to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment